CISCO Network Switches
CISCO Network Switches provided by Cisco systems is known as Catalyst. The Catalyst switches originally ran software called CatOS. CISCO Network Switches can be classified as:
- 1. Campus LAN – Access Switches
Cisco access switches create new user experiences and support network and application requirements.
1.1 Cisco Catalyst 4500E Series Switches
- Leading Catalyst switching platform for Unified Access deployments.
- High capacity (848 gigabits) and density (240 full Power over Ethernet Plus ports).
- 60 Watt Universal Power over Ethernet powers an unprecedented range of devices.
- High availability with In-Service Software Upgrade and Stately Switchover.
1.2 Cisco Catalyst 3850 Series Switches
- Best-in-class and feature-rich access platform with 480 Gbps stacking for gigabit desktop and 802.11ac wireless.
- Converged wired and wireless access by extending wired features, resiliency, granular QoS, and scalability to wireless.
- Distributed services across wired and wireless for security, policy, application visibility and control, and more.
- Foundation for Cisco Open Network Environment enabled by a new ASIC with programmability and investment protection.
1.3 Cisco Catalyst 3650 Series Switches
- Integrated wireless controller capability simplifies network architecture and operations.
- Optional Cisco StackWise-160 technology provides scalability and resiliency.
- Support for Cisco ONE Enterprise Networks Architecture with the UADP ASIC provides openness, programmability, and investment protection.
- Cisco IOS XE software supports IPv4 and IPv6.
- Modular QoS, Flexible NetFlow, and enhanced security features increase network flexibility, visibility, and controls.
1.4 Cisco Catalyst 2960-X Series Switches
- Scalable fixed access switches with high resiliency for growth.
- Smart, with intelligent networking and application-aware services for visibility and control.
- Simple to operate, through embedded automation for software provisioning, quality of service (QoS), and plug-and-play.
- Highly secure for users and applications with flexible authentication, Cisco TrustSec, and IPv6 first hop security.
- Most environmentally friendly Catalyst switch to date.
1.5 Cisco Meraki MS Cloud-Managed Access Switches
- Virtually stack switches to monitor and configure thousands of switch ports instantly over the web.
- Integrated Layer 7 analysis delivers network-wide visibility into users, devices, and applications.
- Provision sites and remotely troubleshoots networks without on-site IT Integrated tools such as Power over Ethernet (PoE), PoE Plus, QoS, Link Layer Discovery Protocol (LLDP), and more ease voice and video deployments.
- Integrated tools such as Power over Ethernet (PoE), PoE Plus, QoS, Link Layer Discovery Protocol (LLDP), and more ease voice and video deployments.
- 2. Campus LAN – Compact Switches
Extend enterprise-class network services to deployments outside the wiring closet.
2.1 Cisco Catalyst 3560-CX Series Switches
- Layer 2 and 3 compact switches with 8 or 12 ports offering enterprise-class 1 Gb and 10 Gb services.
- 10 Gb uplinks for high-bandwidth applications and business growth.
- Option to run Cisco Catalyst Instant Access mode for management simplicity.
2.2 Cisco Catalyst 2960-CX Series Switches
- Layer 2 compact switches with 8 ports optimized for 1 Gb services.
- Up to 124 Watts of Power over Ethernet Plus (PoE+) power budget per switch.
- Fan-less compact design for quiet and efficient operation; flexible mounting options.
- 3. Campus LAN – Core and Distribution Switches
Cisco Catalyst Switches provide the scale, intelligence, simplicity, and security essential to accelerate business initiatives and protect investments.
3.1 Cisco Nexus 7000 Series Switches
- Supports up to 1.3 Tb per switching capacity per slot.
- Provides high-density 10, 40, and 100 GE.
- Offers high availability with hitless In-Service Software Upgrade (ISSU).
- Provides advanced services for network segmentation, services appliances, and data center interconnect.
3.2 Cisco Catalyst 6800 Series Switches
- Optimized for 1 and 10 Gb services with higher slot capacity (up to 880 Gb) and switching capacity (up to 11.4 Tb).
- Intelligent services with Catalyst 6500 DNA and Application Policy Infrastructure Controller Enterprise Module (APIC-EM).
- Simplified operations with Catalyst Instant Access.
- Highly secure for users and applications with comprehensive wired, wireless, and VPN security.
3.3 Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Switches
- Flagship Catalyst switching services platform for core/distribution deployments.
- Virtual Switching System bolsters availability and scales to 4-terabit capacity.
- Up to 160 Gigabits per slot; 100 Gigabit Ethernet-ready.
- Integrated services modules enhance security, manageability, and wireless control.
3.4 Cisco Catalyst 4500-X Series Switches
- Catalyst switching platform for space-constrained distribution deployments.
- Best-in-class scalability, with up to 800 Gbps switching capacity.
- Up to 40 1G/10G ports, hot swappable uplink module.
- Compact, one rack unit (1U), low power form factor.
3.5 Cisco Catalyst 3850 Fiber Switch Models
- Catalyst switching platform for low-density 1 GB distribution deployments.
- 12 and 24 Gigabit SFP port models, 1 and 10GB uplink modules.
- StackWise-480 and StackPower for easier management and resiliency.
- Converged Access, Native Flexible NetFlow, and TrustSec.