CISCO Network Switches provided by Cisco systems is known as Catalyst. The Catalyst switches originally ran software called CatOS. CISCO Network Switches can be classified as:
1. Campus LAN – Access Switches
Cisco access switches create new user experiences and support network and application requirements.
1.1 Cisco Catalyst 4500E Series Switches
- Leading Catalyst switching platform for Unified Access deployments.
- High capacity (848 gigabits) and density (240 full Power over Ethernet Plus ports).
- 60 Watt Universal Power over Ethernet powers an unprecedented range of devices.
- High availability with In-Service Software Upgrade and Stately Switchover.
1.2 Cisco Catalyst 3850 Series Switches
- Best-in-class and feature-rich access platform with 480 Gbps stacking for gigabit desktop and 802.11ac wireless.
- Converged wired and wireless access by extending wired features, resiliency, granular QoS, and scalability to wireless.
- Distributed services across wired and wireless for security, policy, application visibility and control, and more.
- Foundation for Cisco Open Network Environment enabled by a new ASIC with programmability and investment protection.
1.3 Cisco Catalyst 3650 Series Switches
- Integrated wireless controller capability simplifies network architecture and operations.
- Optional Cisco StackWise-160 technology provides scalability and resiliency.
- Support for Cisco ONE Enterprise Networks Architecture with the UADP ASIC provides openness, programmability, and investment protection.
Cisco IOS XE software supports IPv4 and IPv6.
Modular QoS, Flexible NetFlow, and enhanced security features increase network flexibility, visibility, and controls.
1.4 Cisco Catalyst 2960-X Series Switches
- Scalable fixed access switches with high resiliency for growth.
- Smart, with intelligent networking and application-aware services for visibility and control.
- Simple to operate, through embedded automation for software provisioning, quality of service (QoS), and plug-and-play.
- Highly secure for users and applications with flexible authentication, Cisco TrustSec, and IPv6 first hop security.
- Most environmentally friendly Catalyst switch to date.
1.5 Cisco Meraki MS Cloud-Managed Access Switches
- Virtually stack switches to monitor and configure thousands of switch ports instantly over the web.
- Integrated Layer 7 analysis delivers network-wide visibility into users, devices, and applications.
- Provision sites and remotely troubleshoots networks without on-site IT Integrated tools such as Power over Ethernet (PoE), PoE Plus, QoS, Link Layer Discovery
- Protocol (LLDP), and more ease voice and video deployments.
- Integrated tools such as Power over Ethernet (PoE), PoE Plus, QoS, Link Layer Discovery Protocol (LLDP), and more ease voice and video deployments.
2. Campus LAN – Compact Switches
Extend enterprise-class network services to deployments outside the wiring closet.
2.1 Cisco Catalyst 3560-CX Series Switches
- Layer 2 and 3 compact switches with 8 or 12 ports offering enterprise-class 1 Gb and 10 Gb services.
- 10 Gb uplinks for high-bandwidth applications and business growth.
- Option to run Cisco Catalyst Instant Access mode for management simplicity.
2.2 Cisco Catalyst 2960-CX Series Switches
- Layer 2 compact switches with 8 ports optimized for 1 Gb services.
- Up to 124 Watts of Power over Ethernet Plus (PoE+) power budget per switch.
- Fan-less compact design for quiet and efficient operation; flexible mounting options.
3. Campus LAN – Core and Distribution Switches
- Cisco Catalyst Switches provide the scale, intelligence, simplicity, and security essential to accelerate business initiatives and protect investments.
3.1 Cisco Nexus 7000 Series Switches
- Supports up to 1.3 Tb per switching capacity per slot.
- Provides high-density 10, 40, and 100 GE.
- Offers high availability with hitless In-Service Software Upgrade (ISSU).
- Provides advanced services for network segmentation, services appliances, and data center interconnect.
3.2 Cisco Catalyst 6800 Series Switches
- Optimized for 1 and 10 Gb services with higher slot capacity (up to 880 Gb) and switching capacity (up to 11.4 Tb).
- Intelligent services with Catalyst 6500 DNA and Application Policy Infrastructure Controller Enterprise Module (APIC-EM).
- Simplified operations with Catalyst Instant Access.
- Highly secure for users and applications with comprehensive wired, wireless, and VPN security.
3.3 Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Switches
- Flagship Catalyst switching services platform for core/distribution deployments.
- Virtual Switching System bolsters availability and scales to 4-terabit capacity.
- Up to 160 Gigabits per slot; 100 Gigabit Ethernet-ready.
- Integrated services modules enhance security, manageability, and wireless control.
3.4 Cisco Catalyst 4500-X Series Switches
Catalyst switching platform for space-constrained distribution deployments.
Best-in-class scalability, with up to 800 Gbps switching capacity.
Up to 40 1G/10G ports, hot swappable uplink module.
Compact, one rack unit (1U), low power form factor.
3.5 Cisco Catalyst 3850 Fiber Switch Models
Catalyst switching platform for low-density 1 GB distribution deployments.
12 and 24 Gigabit SFP port models, 1 and 10GB uplink modules.
StackWise-480 and StackPower for easier management and resiliency.
Converged Access, Native Flexible NetFlow, and TrustSec.