SolarWinds Inc. develops enterprise information technology infrastructure management software for IT professionals which are headquartered in Austin, Texas. SolarWinds Certified Professional Program (SCP) for network management, to test professionals in network management fundamentals, network management planning, network management operation, network performance troubleshooting and Orion Network Performance Monitor.
The Solarwinds Network Monitoring Solutions monitor network in 3 ways.
1. Network Traffic
SolarWinds Bandwidth Analyzer Pack (BAP) is a network traffic monitor that monitors applications consuming bandwidth. This will make informed decisions on which traffic needs to be prioritized and what should be blocked. Organizations must ensure they have the bandwidth to deliver business data across branches, hosted services, DR, backup sites, and data centers.
Bandwidth is expensive and most organizations cannot afford to simply add more bandwidth every time the traffic transfer rate is slow. When there are bandwidths issues, organizations need to be able to monitor network traffic and see how bandwidth is being utilized in order to take appropriate action.
• Adding devices to BAP for monitoring: NetFlow is configured on the edge router that connects HQ to the branch and data center which uses a Cisco 3725 series router that supports NetFlow. SolarWinds bandwidth usage monitor captures the NetFlow packets reaching the server, processes them, and then generates reports on bandwidth and traffic usage.
• Analyze WAN traffic to identify bandwidth users: Using SolarWinds BAP, traffic on the WAN link is analyzed. Details of IP conversations at end-points are involved when there are connectivity issues. This provides information on users and applications that are consuming bandwidth.
2. Wireless Network Monitoring
SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor provides the capability to monitor wireless networks with any 802.11 IEEE‑compliant autonomous access point or wireless controller. You can retrieve details about access points (AP), wireless clients, wireless controllers, thin APs, and rogue APs.
• SolarWinds NPM automatically recognizes wireless APs and controllers as wireless devices once the network discovery process is completed.
• Wireless network management software keeps track of thin access points and their corresponding client details including client names, signal strength, IP addresses and MAC addresses summary.
3. Network Management Software
The Management Software quickly detects, diagnoses, and resolves network performance issues and outages. This graphically displays network performance metrics in real-time via dynamic interactive maps.
• Network Performance Monitor: Reduce network outages with affordable, easy-to-use network monitoring software and automatically map devices and displays performance metrics, and link connection.
• Bandwidth Analyzer Pack: This tracks response time, availability and uptime of routers, switches and other SNMP-enabled devices. It also analyzes and monitors network bandwidth performance and traffic patterns.
• IP Address Manager: Prevents IP conflicts with powerful IPv4 and IPv6 address management. This saves time on provisioning or reclaiming IP addresses with DHCP and DNS integration. It also avoids problems by monitoring and receiving alerts on critical IP events
• Network Configuration Manager: Reduces configuration errors by using standardized device configurations and deployment automation. Improves network reliability using change monitoring, alerting, configuration backups and rollbacks.
• User Device Tracker: Automatically discovers, maps, and monitors switches, ports, and network devices. Easily identifies, locates, and blocks unauthorized devices and users on the network.
• VoIP & Network Quality Manager: Monitors Cisco & Avaya VoIP Quality of Service call metrics including jitter, latency, packet loss, and MOS. Correlates call quality issues with WAN performance for advanced troubleshooting.
• Network Topology Mapper: Automatically discovers and diagrams network topology. Delivers reports on switch ports, VLANs, subnets, and inventory.